The predecessor of School of Professional Development in Construction (SPDC) was established in 1994 and it had been previously named as the “Management & Safety Training Centre (MSTC)” and the “Centre for Professional Development (CPD)”. SPDC is the professional education arm of the Hong Kong Institute of Construction (HKIC) and it is established to provide professional and continuing education pathways for industry practitioners in construction.
SPDC offers two major categories of professional training programmes in construction through both full-time mode and part-time mode of study. They are
(A) Part-Time Technology and Management Related Courses; and
(B) Full-Time Short Courses.
Part-Time Technology and Management Related Courses are designed to upgrade knowledge and enhance skills in project supervision, management and application of information technology in construction. These consists of nine different types of courses that include:
(1) Building Information Modelling (BIM)
(2) Technology & Management - Courses Recognised by Government Departments
(3) Technology & Management - Courses Recognised in Public Work Contracts
(4) Technology & Management - AutoCAD Drafting
(5) Technology & Management - Contract Administration
(6) Technology & Management - Construction Technology and Quality
(7) Technology & Management - Construction Management
(8) Technology & Management - Conservation of Built Heritage
Full-Time Short Courses are designed to equip those adults, who previously worked in other industries but wish to join the construction industry, with specific technical knowledge and skills for developing their professional careers in construction.